Children, Seniors and Social Development

Government of Canada Information

This Guide gives information on Government of Newfoundland and Labrador programs and services. Many of these provincial programs need you to file an income tax return. Some provincial programs also need you to apply and receive a federal program. For example, to get the Newfoundland and Labrador Child Benefit (page 5) you have to apply and receive the Canada Child Tax Benefit.

There may be federal programs and services of benefit to you. For details or help with federal government programs, call 1-800-O CANADA (1-800-622-6232) or visit opens new window

Canada Child Tax Benefit (Federal Government)

This is a tax-free monthly payment, made to eligible families to help with the cost of raising children under 18 years of age. Families must apply when the child is born or comes to live with them. To get this benefit, and to keep getting it, parents or guardians must file an income tax return every year. For more help, call the telephone number or visit the website below.

1-800-387-1193 opens new window
Download the application form opens new window

For more information on provincial programs and services visit Click on Departments/Agencies and then click on the department responsible for the program you are looking for.


Quick Links

Last Updated:
This page and all contents are copyright, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, all rights reserved.